So you’re settling in for a nice evening at home. Snow is in the forecast. Hot cocoa is in your hand. But wait… Are you prepared for deep freezes? Are the pipes in your home? Now is the time of year to not only perform checks but get prepared to make last-minute adjustments when the mercury plunges. Here are some tips to help you out from Allstate:
- Disconnect all gardening hoses and install covers on all outside faucets.
- Keep your house temperature at 68 degrees or higher, even if you’re leaving the house for an extended period of time.
- Open cabinet doors below sinks to allow heat from the home to circulate.
- Identify the location of the main water valve and the valve on your water heater. (Learning the location of these valves may come in handy during an emergency.)
- Wrap pipes nearest exterior walls and in crawl spaces with pipe insulation or with heating tape. This can prevent freezing, especially for interior pipes that run along outside walls.
Click here for more!
Source: How Can I Prepare for a Frozen Pipe Disaster (Allstate)