Building on the theme from last month, let’s consider this the time to do some prep before a Spring listing. This is the most popular time to sell a home and you want yours to stand out. Take a look at some nuggets from this article about some of those “must fix” items.
- The mystery switches — Don’t know what that switch goes to? Time to find out. Hope you don’t find a big problem. But, if you do, now is the time to fix it.
- Water stains — Don’t try to hide water issues. Use these as signs to fix something before an inspector finds it.
- Weird toilets — At least make sure it stops running.
- Fireplace faults — Make sure it’s clean and functional.
- Slow drains — A BIG turnoff. Likely an easy fix with some cleaning products or a cheap clog remover.
- Smelly basements — What’s the first thing you’d think? Wet basement. You don’t want that for your house or potential buyers. Address with a dehumidifier and check if the walls need sealing. Likely a place you’ll need to call in a professional.
- Shakes and wiggles. Pretend that you’re the buyer. Go through and find handrails or doorknobs that need securing.
- Stuck windows or doors — Beyond being annoying, they’re unsafe
- Trip zones — Fix the loose carpet or uneven floors. You don’t want that buyer falling down.
- Water pressure — Not out of the question for the potential buyer to flip on the sink or shower. Be ready.
All else fails? Remember buyers don’t like surprises. A little prep can go a long way to a sale and quick closing.